Saturday, July 28, 2007

Day 1 in Delft

A part of Delft as seen from my Lab

So after much deliberations, I reached Delft. I had to carry more than 40 kgs of luggage in different forms from the airport to the railway station, board a train, change trains from Hague, and then get down at Delft. It was f**king tiring!!

I'll be living at 51, Casper Fagelstraat. Its one of the easier-to-pronounce streets here. The apartment is really nice, and so is my room. I would have posted pictures, but I littered my room sooner than expected, and I dont want my housekeeper to accidently discover, while surfing the net, what I have done to their room. My housekeepers are really nice people, and they have given me a bike (its what they call a cycle) which I can use for 3 months.

The Dutch take thier cycling very seriously. Its the most common form of transport here, with seperate lanes and traffic lights for them. And everybody here cycles-bachche, boodhe, aur jawaan. Its one of the reasons for almost zero pollution here.

The Electrical Engg building is the tallest building in Delft, and as there arent any other tall buildings, it towers above everything else. So its not that difficult to make your way towards it. The tricky part is when you have to come back. I got lost bigtime, and it took me an hour and a half to reach back to my place(whereas, it was only a 15 min journey in the morning). Now its a really pleasant experience to get lost in an unknown beautiful city, when you are on a bike, but its a different thing altogether when you are cycling with a full bladder.

Its so beautiful and green out here, that I dont feel like taking pictures. All I want to do is to absorb the beauty surrounding me. But still, I'll try and take some pics, and post them for everybody's benefit.

2 comments:

AA said...

use the appartment to your advantage.

great things may be accomplished.

Anupriya said...

"Its so beautiful and green out here, that I dont feel like taking pictures. All I want to do is to absorb the beauty surrounding me. But still, I'll try and take some pics, and post them for everybody's benefit."

that happens with me too over here!
but alas only a couple of weeks more to go.

you know what i realised! haw! u won't be at the quiz meets from now on! [:(]